- Purnea district is one of the thirty-eight administrative districts of Bihar state.
- Purnea district is a part of Purnea division.
- Purnea is bounded by the districts of Araria, Katihar, Bhagalpur, Kishanganj, Madhepura and Saharsa and district of West Dinajpur of West Bengal.
- The major rivers flowing through Purnea are Kosi, Mahananda, Suwara Kali, Koli and Panar. Purnea district extends northwards from river Ganges.
- Purnia has seen three districts partitioned off from its territory: Katihar in 1976, and Araria and Kishanganj in 1990.
- Purnea with its highest rainfall in Bihar and its moderate climate has earned the soubriquet of ‘Poor’s man’s Darjeeling’.
At a Glance
|Area: 3229 Sq. Km.||Population: 32,64,619|
|Language: Hindi||Villages: 1226|
|Male: 16,99,370||Female: 15,65,249|